Monday, August 9, 2010

The beginning of the end

The house has sold! That's the wonderful part. Now for the hard part. Packing up and leaving. First of all, let me just say while I am thrilled it sold, August is the worst possible time to be packing in Arizona. Especially for "certified genius" trying to get both garages loaded up. We sold all the "toys" except for one. We have sold at least half the furniture in the house, given away probably a quarter more of it. We are so lucky to have wonderful people in our lives who can use our things. Heaven knows, we didn't want to move it all 1600 miles. I have kept the sentimental and favorite things and let go of the rest. This is a new adventure and I don't need weighed down with things from the past that are unimportant. Most of the time in our lives, things are only things. Its the people in your life that matter most, not the stuff. In fact, right now, I am totally sick of stuff. I want a smaller, compact life with way less stuff. So not only am I purging the excess stuff from my loft, my two garages, extra closets and cabinets, I am also purging the excess stuff from my head. It is time to lighten both the physical and mental load.

Son and Jones are already gone. They didn't want to wait for us. They are settled out in the country on an acre and loving it, especially Jones. Nothing quite as wonderful as being able to run around like a "chicken with its head cut off" with your favorite dog all day. Oh to be 4 years old again in the country. Daughter has decided to take pity on us and wait for us to leave before leaving herself. She is looking to settle in Nashville. Far enough away to be independent, but close enough to come home should she so to desire. Hopefully she will so desire quite often. If not, its close enough for mom to make impromptu visits. I am sure Daughter will be thrilled by the thought. Not.

We have to be out in a couple of weeks. The time both flies by and stands still at the same time. It is difficult to explain. But while this has been my home for the past 24 years, I am excited to leave. I will take away the wonderful memories and look forward to the new ones. I am sure I will shed many tears thinking of all the wonderful times with my children, my husband and my grandson in this wonderful house. But I will remember it with fondness, not longing to go back. It is truly time to go home. Wish me luck. When next time I write I will truly, finally be home.

No comments:

Post a Comment