Sunday, October 3, 2010

And so it begins . . .

Parent's new property

Finally I have arrived. I am now somewhat settled in Tennessee. I am living in a cute little house on an adorable street in a small town. No more desert for me. I spent the last three weeks of August working like mad on getting everything packed and the house ready for the new owner to move in. However, my family let me know that the average seller does not repaint the pantry, put new shelf liners in the cabinets, etc. for new owners. Also, apparently we are not required to make sure every nail hole is filled and painted. Oh well, I hope she appreciated it. It wasn't just a house to me, it was my home for the past 24 years. As hard as Genius worked to build it and I worked to decorate it, I hardly wanted to leave it in less than perfect condition.

As for the first three weeks of September, I spent my time driving to every remote corner of this county, the neighboring countys and other remote places looking for property. I drug Daughter along with me as well as Jones and Daughter-in-law whenever possible. And believe me, we located some remote places with beautiful property. There was the trip to the western edge of the county to view a property. It was quite memorable. The driveway was a good mile in length and unpaved. The unpaved part was not the problem, the problem was the six inch ruts that ran the length of the driveway. Oh well, good thing we were in a Jeep Wrangler. It was too remote for me. No one could ever have visited you unless they owned a 4 x 4. And maybe not even then during inclement weather. Needless to say, I readily nixed that property. There was the trip to the most awesome cattle farm complete with not one, but two old houses to remodel (my idea of heaven, Genius idea of Hell). Unfortunately I was short on funds and Genius has no desire to go into the cattle business. Why not? I ask. Limited experience with cows, he replies. Research. No? Oh well.


Then there was the Sunday I took daughter on an adventure. The property for sale could be reached, the realtor said, by driving behind the old church, up through the woods to the top of the hill. I have a Jeep, so no problem I thought. Daughter was not impressed. So off behind the old church, up through the woods we went. Believe me, it was through the woods. I am guessing at some point it had been a logging road but not for the past 20 years at least. So it was not only through the woods but over the woods as well. Just a little frightening for Daughter. No worries we made it off the hill.



Genius dispatched us to numerous locations. Did I mention Genius is still going back and forth to Arizona for the time being? So Daughter and I are alone a couple weeks a month. Anyway Genius hit paydirt via the internet. He found the perfectly remote location for the perfect price and can you believe it, we had the winning bid. Twenty acres, 15 miles from town on a gravel road. It has the cutest old farmhouse on it, well over a hundred years old. Only problem the floors are beyond wonky. I am told that is not actually a word. However, if you saw the floors, you would agree - wonky for sure. No problem, Genius has decided to build a reproduction farmhouse behind the old one. Disassemble the old one, salvage the good stuff and move to different location on the property. I told you he is defintely "Certified Genius". It will take time. I completely get that. But it is in the most beautiful location with oak trees that have to be at least 200 years old. There are creeks, streams, cattle farms, trees and animals galore. It will be wonderful. It is already wonderful. Finally I am truly home. Well... almost.

No comments:

Post a Comment