Sunday, October 24, 2010


The weather is a bit odd here. The leaves have turned beautiful colors and started to fall, even though it was 80 degrees today. A bit strange? Maybe not. We have decided to build a new house on the property directly behind the old house. It's the most wonderful spot on the whole 20 acres for a house. The oak trees are at least 200 years old and beautiful. After the new house is built, the old house will be disassembled, moved and rebuilt into a combination guest house/garage. Probably more garage, I am guessing. Hopefully it will be a little bit guest house. Of course that is up to Genius, so we'll see. I am not the least bit concerned. It will be beautiful. It always is. He has never built anything that was ugly, ever. Even so, Genius and I are still in negotiations about the old smoke house. I want it moved to the back yard and restored. He says "maybe" but it will be the last thing on the list. I am strongly opposed to "maybe" and "last thing on list." We shall see. The old barn will probably stay where it is and in its current condition. That is okay by me because it is beyond saving. Plus I like the look and feel of it. I will salvage the mangers for who knows what purpose. I like the look of them I suppose. Storage for extra towels in the bathroom maybe?

Texas Longhorn on Little Texas Road in Tennessee

It is so beautiful here with the fall colors. Daughter and I take long drives and she takes lots of pictures. The area around the property is referred to as "Little Texas" because all the cattle farms in the area. The neighbors down the road (I use this term loosely since there are only 4 houses on a four mile road) have a most unusual collection of pets. There is the burro. Then there is the one and only Texas longhorn steer who resides in the pasture with the burro. There are the chickens in the coop. There are the ducks guarded by the ever present Great Pyrennese. Then there is the one and only hound dog who resides on the front porch on a lawn chair. When you drive by, Mr Hound leaps out of the lawn chair and bounds a good ten to fifteen feet down the knoll as if to say "yeah, I told you to keep going." A quick look in the rearview mirror reveals he is on his way back to the porch and the chair. As there is only one, I am guessing it belongs to him.


I have actually met two of the neighbors. Wonderful people who keep to themselves and I assume expect me to do the same until I know them better. We are outsiders of course since we came from Arizona. I understand completely. This is a very remote area 13 miles from the nearest small town and I know they are wondering, "how did these people find this place anyway?" The wonders of the internet. Plus the fact that I was born and raised in the area. These people are not familiar with the fact my ancestors settled the area over 190 years ago. Once they find out, I'm sure I won't be considered such an outsider. My husband, on the other hand, was born in Ohio and raised in Arizona, so he probably will always be considered such. However, being the extremely wonderful person he is, they are bound to come around sooner or later. If not, its ok. The closest neighbors - Twister, Cheyenne, Misty and Thunder don't care where we are from. They only care that we bring clover and know where the oats are.

1 comment:

  1. Hi,

    I have a quick question about your blog, do you think you could e-mail me?

    Brian

    ReplyDelete